Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Decisions

We all know I have a very hard time with decisions, that and commitments. I finally got over part of the commitment phobia by actually getting married, but I still struggle with the decision end of things. My biggest one at the moment is jobs, employment, career, work, however you want to word it I just can't decide what I want to be when I grow up!

When we first moved here it took me about a month and a half to find a job.
I truly feel so blessed that I was able to find such a great family to Nanny for. Originally I didn't want to nanny again, but knew it was something I could always fall back on. No matter what the job market is, people always need other people to watch their kids. Knowing this was just a temporary position I think I was able to avoid my commitment issues when accepting this job. I still get to babysit Robbie and end up seeing them at least once a week. Jason and I have so much fun "playing house" and spending time with that family.

Anyways, I am now working at Goldfish Swim School, I've been there for just over two months now. I teach swim lessons and work at the front desk. I love it for the sole fact that I actually get to interact with people my age. At the same time, I've been told that I am overqualified for the job, there really is not much room for any more growth than I have already done, I barley get over 20 hours a week, and I'll be honest with you the pay is nothing to brag about.
That being said I've always known this was a good job to just hold me over till I could find something else. I have constantly been looking for that dream grown up job. One that challenges me and uses my hard earned college degree and one that I feel like I am really making a difference in. This job is apparently non-existent. I have however, found two different "executive" families that I could nanny for.
So it is decision time.
Do I go back to Nannying? I love the kids and interacting with them and all that goes along with that, but at the same time, I get so isolated out here when Jason and I have really no other friends or people our age to interact with. The pay is awesome. The hours are good. With the pay and hours put together I would be making over 3 times what I am making now.
But I have done the whole nanny bit, and part of me thinks... "I'm going to be raising kids for the rest of my life, if I want to work outside the home this is the last chance I'm going to have to do it." So with that thought in mind do I stay where I'm at? And continue looking for that dream job? Being able to put Goldfish and the experience I have gained there will have a greater impact on a resume than yet another Nanny position.
I also have the regret factor to worry about, if I decide to Nanny again, am I just going to get isolated and lonely again and regret leaving a work environment where I am surrounded by people every day. At the same time if I stay where I'm at am I going to constantly be thinking about the money that I am NOT making?
I know I really have no right to sit here and vent about this decision since there is a very large percentage of people in this area who would kill to have three job offers in front of them. I just can't figure it out. And I kinda need to, like tonight, so anyone out there want to tell me what to do?!

3 comments:

  1. I would take the nanny job...but maybe thats just me. You can always find other nannies in the area and have play dates to interact with other grown ups. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen-
    I'm so sorry that you're in this difficult position! I'm not sure if you've made a decision yet, and even if you have, this is the advice I'd give you. First, you are right that many people would kill to have three job offers in front of them, but that doesn't make your decision any easier! It's hard to understand exactly what any one person is going through or experiencing at one time unless you are physically in their shoes, so don't dare feel bad about venting- no one knows the difficulty of your decision more than you do!
    As far as making a decision is concerned, all I can say is pray & have faith! Whenever I've faced difficult decisions that is what I've fallen back on... If neither is your dream job, you may have to settle for the time being until you can find that dream job (I promise it's out there!). I agree with the other comment made, that would make the nannying a little more positive for you, but I also understand how difficult it is to have little adult interaction- that happens to me sometimes as a SAHM. It's easier, though, when you're at home with your OWN children!
    That being said, I wish I could find you your dream job! I loved my job (when I had it) because I got to work with children, interact with adults EVERY DAY, and make a difference! That's the most awesome part of our degree- making a difference. And although you're missing out on the adult interactions, you are using your degree AND I know you're making a difference in those kids' lives!
    Oh my gosh (or "oh me gosh," as my daughter would say), this is a FOREVER comment! Sorry, but I guess you probably expected it from me :-) Good luck in your decision making- I know if you allow Heavenly Father to help guide you, everything will work out sooner or later (hopefully sooner, of course)! Let me know how things work out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should do the job that will help you get a better job in the future. But don't listen to me, you should pray.

    ReplyDelete