Thursday, December 29, 2011

People are inherently good

In some psychology class back in the day I remember learning the theory that: "people were inherently evil" and that we had to work hard at making decisions to be kind and good people.  I firmly believe the opposite is true.  I have never received such an out pouring of love and service as I have through out this experience.

We had just moved into our ward in Alpine when we found out we were pregnant.  We kept it hidden for quite a while, and never made much of a fuss about.  Still the women in the ward were always so nice to me and supportive.  When my water broke early Sunday morning, we texted the Shippens, (we rent their basement apartment) and let them know what was happening and to see if they could find a sub for our Sunday School class.  Word spread quickly through out the ward and I was receiving encouraging texts all through out the day/night.

When we were released from the hospital empty handed it was heart breaking.  I was terrified to go home alone and see his empty room.  Jason dropped me off and then went to pick up all of my prescriptions.  While he was gone I walked past Ashton's room and saw this.
I knew right away it was the Shippens who had done this for us.  I broke into tears and called them.  I cried as I told Jaime how much it meant to me, no one had ever done anything like this for me.  I know it was just a shelf with some books and toys, but the thought that was behind it all meant more to me then I think she will ever know.

I couldn't drive for the first week that I was home.  The Relief Society organized rides for me to and from the hospital so I could go visit Ashton.  They brought in meals while he was in the NICU, and again when he came home from the hospital, we had more food than we could even eat.  It was humbling to be on the receiving end of things, and made me want to strive to be a better "giver".

My Mother-in-law, Sisters-in-law, and my Mom threw me a great baby shower in October with family and friends.  They all went in together and got me the Chico Travel System I had been coveting.
My Grandma Morehead had a shower planned for me in Idaho while we were there for Thanksgiving, but we had to cancel it when the doctor said we couldn't travel.  She still sent us all of the treats and presents she and my Aunts had gotten for us though.

The week Ashton was born we had two other baby showers planned.  One from Blue Lemon friends and the other was from the ward.  Both of which obviously got cancelled since we were in the hospital.  Our ward rescheduled the shower for the following week.  Which was perfect for me since Ashton was still in the hospital it gave me something to look forward to and got me so excited to bring him home so he could see all of his new presents.  We got so spoiled.  The women of the ward, some that hardly knew me, went all out.  We got everything from a crib mattress, to a bouncer, to a million diapers and clothes.  Between all of the outpouring of love from so many people we are not going to need to spend much money at all on this little man.  Which is a huge blessing saying as his and mine medical bills are going to be outrageous.  You are loved more than you know little guy.
When I look back on this I want to remember the intense kindness and generosity, I want to remember the desire to want to serve others more and I hope I can act on that.  I want to always remember: Jaime Shippen, Natalie Daley (my visiting teacher), and Brenda Webb (a woman I had hardly ever talked to prior to Ashton being born, but talked with almost every day for the first two weeks).  These women are exactly the type of mothers I want and need to be one day.  People really are inherently good, and they are living proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment