Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Avett Brothers

I fell in love with the Avett Brothers this last week. I first came across them a couple years ago when I first heard "If It's The Beaches".  I loved that song but didn't really ever get much more involved.  Until I found out that they would be doing a free show in Detroit as part of Comerica's City Fest.  I was so excited to go! I haven't been able to get out to nearly as many shows as I use to in Salt Lake. That has been one major thing I've missed this summer... All of the free shows at the Gallivan Center. Last summer you could find us there pretty much every Wednesday and Thursday night. We got to see some great bands (Nada Surf, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah) all for free!  Friends, music, summer nights, all some of my favorite things.  However, now we are in Michigan with no friends, little music, and cold summer nights.  Jason is so great to go along with whatever it is I want to do here in Michigan.   He hardly complained as  I made him listen to The Avett Brothers all week long and take me to Detroit to see them.  Two songs into the concert though he fell in love with them too (maybe not as much as I did, but still!)   Jase walked away saying how great the show was and woke up the next morning singing their songs. Jason likes to make fun of me and my "weird" music so I was excited to come home and find him looking up The Avett Brothers the next day on YouTube trying to find his favorite song (the one they "rap" in... go figure) from the night before. 

They put on an incredibly entertaining show.  They had enough energy to dance and jump to and enough emotion to just listen and feel.  I love their "family" band lyrics. My favorite line from the night was: "Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name."


For one night Detroit won me over, as I had my best friend, great music, and a rainy summer night. No complaining here!



No comments:

Post a Comment